Sunday, September 14, 2008

Segway Battery Rebuilds (A Less Expensive Option)

I placed a link on the sidebar which will direct one to MTO battery, a service which rebuilds batteries, including Segway batteries. The Segway batteries can be rather pricey and rebuilding them can save an owner several hundreds of dollars. In addition, with the introduction of the newer I2 model, Segway has discontinued the production of the NIMH batteries which come standard on the Gen 1 models in favor of the lithium ones which come on the I2 model. Segway dealers sell the lithium batteries at a price of approximately $1800. Rebuilds of the NIMH batteries provides a much cheaper alternative to purchasing new ones.

I have been lucky in that my original batteries on my I167 lasted almost 4 years before playing out (They stayed plugged up via the charger whenever I was not using them). I believe my Segway batteries were the first ones MTO rebuilt. Since then, they have significantly expanded their Segway battery service. Their service is remarkable. Mine had to be returned because of a bad cell. They readily took them back, even paying for shipping them via UPS. They told me by phone that their goal was to leave the customer satisfied, which they did very well. I highly recommend them to anyone seeking a cheaper alternative to buying new batteries.