Tuesday, April 11, 2006

The Lady and Sons, Savannah, GA

The Lady and Sons restaurant in Savannah. Since my wife and I are both fans of Paula Deen, we decided to take a little sidetrip and drive to Savannah for lunch at her famous restaurant. We were not deterred by the tales of long lines stretching far down the block just to put your name in with the hostess for an assigned time to be seated. We actually didn't have to wait much more than 30 minutes, and got an early seating time (11:30). Parking in Savannah's Historic District is almost a nightmare, so I let my wife out in front of the restaurant and drove around looking for a spot to park. I found one about 4 blocks away, maneuvered the SUV in it, got out, unloaded the Segway, climbed aboard where I was once again transformed into my alter-ego (Segwayman), and glided effortlessly along the sidewalks and a through couple of Savannah's beautiful park-like squares to meet my wife in the line at the restaurant. Another great benefit in traveling with the Segway, that being letting her out and then driving wherever to park. Makes it easy on both of us.
Wanda and I having a great lunch at "The Lady and Sons". The two drinks in front of us are: her iced tea, and second, my swamp water. A delicious mixture of half tea and half lemonade. We learned about it while having lunch at Gullah Grub on St. Helena Island just outside Beaufort. It has become my lunch/dinner drink of choice. Wonder if they've ever heard of swamp water back home in Kentucky? Bet not.
Outside The Lady and Sons restaurant. I rode the Segway inside where they showed me a place where I could park it and then used my cane to get to our table via an elevator to the 3rd floor. The food was not merely average or good Southern cooking, rather great Southern cooking. As the saying reads on some gift items in the restaurant - "The Lady Can Cook".