Monday, March 13, 2006

Cumberland Falls State Park

This past weekend we visited Cumberland Falls State Park. The weather was perfect for a pre-spring day, partly sunny with a high temperature of 82 degrees. Uncharacteristically warm for this time of year. The trees were just beginning to bud, a sign of the nice things to come. The rebirth of the earth was in the air. You could almost smell the reawakening of the plants and trees.






We stayed at the Dupont Lodge at the park. The lodge itself had large exposed beam ceilings in the main area, thereby adding to the character of the place.

We were last at the park during our earlier married years (app 35+ years ago), when we stayed at the campground. We visited the lodge then, where I took a picture of my wife in this same spot. She has been asking me about the earlier picture and wanting to see it to see what changes have taken place during that timespan. I wanted to reassure her by telling her that I'm sure the lodge hasn't changed very much at all.


Although the warm weather outside didn't require the warmth of the fireplace, it still added to the atmosphere of the lodge.

That evening we had dinner in the dining room. The Saturday evening buffet featured roast buffalo. It was delicious. One of the better meals I've ever had.






Unloading the Segway in the parking lot. It still amazes me as to how easy it loads and unloads. All that is required of me is that I prop the ramps up on the bumper, key the machine on and then use the 'power-assist' feature to get the machine to move either up or down the ramp as needed. After unloading, I easily raise the handlebar, put the ramps back in the SUV, climb aboard the Segway (where I am instantly transformed from a somewhat decrepit older handicapped male into my alter-ego 'Segwayman') and ride off to some new adventure as happy as the proverbial hog on ice.