Friday, December 17, 2010

Pre-Christmas Happenings

Well, I am in a holding pattern awaiting word from my neurologist concerning beginning the new medicine regime (Gilenya). I successfully jumped through all of the hoops required by Novartis and had an appointment with Dr. Blake Tuesday. I thought we were going to start the medication this weekend. But a few other things got in the way, one being that the medication has not been distributed yet to the Dr.s' office with the second being insurance approval. Dr. Blakes' office staff is working on both, even trying to hustle up some more samples (they have a two week supply) so that I can get at least a month head start while the very new drug is being distributed.

I don't like being in a holding pattern even one little bit. I feel like an uneasy tightrope walker who is beginning the trek across the high wire without a safety net underneath. I've done about all I can do at this point (that is, until I can think of something else) by making several calls to my insurance provider, Dr.'s office, even threatening to drive to the drug company myself in an effort to obtain sufficient medication for my needs. I can be a real pest when I want to be. I do believe that Dr. Blakes' staff is doing everything they can to help the situation. Just maybe, I'll have an early Christmas present. We'll see!