Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Segwayboy Arrives

Grandson No 1, Tanner, was just 5 years old when I got my 1st Segway. He couldn't wait to ride it, but I told him that you had to weigh 100 lbs. in order to be able to ride. (I later found out that this was not quite accurate when I was at Kroger and stopped at the milk cooler to get a gallon of moo juice. I opened the cooler door, got off the Segway in order to reach the milk on the bottom shelf, then put it on the Segway platform, closing the door. To my utter amazement and surprise, the Segway started moving away from me on it's own, because the weight of the milk had activated the sensors. I had to reach for it very quickly in order to avoid any awaiting calamity. Whew, close call.) Tanner would come in from kindergarten every day and weigh himself. After a while, I told him that he could ride it whenever he was going into 5th grade. Well, 5th grade is in his immediate future, so he got to ride it for the 1st time this past Friday. I put the Segway on the slower key, then showed him a few things and then let him ride it in the yard and on the sidewalk. As with the meeting of young people and technology, he took to it like a duck takes to water. He later told me "Grandpa, I've had more fun today than I've ever had." I can't wait to get my other one back so we can ride around the side streets in our subdivision like we did when he got his 1st scooter and bicycle. One down and two to go (grand kids, that is).