Saturday, March 06, 2010

Great News

This past Wednesday, we traveled to Lexington to get an MRI and follow-up visit with my neurologist. The main purpose of the visit was to compare my MRI's with ones taken previously in order to determine what changes were taking place. After the MRI was completed, we went to Dr. Blakes' office for the news. I was hoping for the best and got it. The bottom line - no new lesions in the past year as well as no increase in the size of existing lesions. In other words, I'm holding my own. About three years ago, during one of my routine neuro exams, Dr. Blake told us that his goal was to stop the progression of the disease. I remember asking him "Do you really think that's possible?" Now, I am a positive thinker, but that seemed like a bit much, setting an unreachable goal. I was to begin the Tysabri regimen soon thereafter and didn't anticipate what was to be because of the monthly infusions. One of the prerequisites of Tysabri is that the patient must have tried other injectable therapies which were deemed to not be working. I had been on Avonex for app. 5 years switching to Betaseron (every other day injectable) for another 5 years. I calculated that over the period I had given myself over 1600 injections. Did the PML deaths associated with Tysabri even concern me? No, not even one little bit. I readily signed the papers absolving Biogen of any blame if something did go wrong. Now this coming Monday, I'm due to take infusion number 25. Biogen, which manufactures the medication, has not done any longitudinal studies as to the effects after being on it for more than 2 years, but once again, I'm willing to take a chance, even telling Dr. Blake that if someone tries to take me off the medication, they'll have to fight me first. I mean it too.

With the primary three things I have tried (and am still using), 1) the Segway, 2) the Bioness system and 3) the Tysabri infusions, each has contributed immensely to my feelings of well-being (at least for a person with MS) in a major way. This afternoon, I actually plan to go out and walk my dog for app. 1/2 mile (an activity I have done several times since getting the Bioness. I still use the Segway around places where a lot of walking is required, especially if I'm feeling somewhat tired. It's still a lifesaver to me. I can't wait until it gets warmer outside so once again, I can go out and ride just for fun.