Wednesday, July 07, 2010

It Ain't Easy!

As I look back over the blog, I hope I haven't relayed the false feeling that my handling of MS has been easy. I don't like being around 'Pollyanna-ish' people and certainly don't want to be one myself. I do believe in being upbeat as it's certainly better than the alternative, however, I just don't see how everything can realistically be 'wonderful' 100% of the time. That type of attitude seems somewhat phony to me. However, I do feel that at least in some part, my coping with the effects of my MS has been affected by a positive attitude. I do still have a 'pity party' every once in a while, but they have (thank goodness) become much fewer and farther between.


So, even though some things are indeed very much better than they were in the past, I do realize that I'm still experiencing some of the ups and downs associated with MS.


The real 'pluses' for me have been :1-The Segway which has allowed me to do many things I would have otherwise found to be impossible along with permitting me to be with my family not only as we travel, but in many other endeavors. 2-Tysabri, which has definitely slowed the progress of the disease and has even positively affected several of my symptoms, in particular, my improved speech and the ability to tolerate summer heat. 3-Physical and Occupational Therapy which has allowed me to keep some of my motor skills workable. One of the more dramatic effects is evidence in the fact that my right hand grip (which was all but gone) has improved from the 5 lbs strength level when I was first tested, to the latest assessment which showed it measuring in at a whopping 43 pounds. I can even now actually move individual fingers on my right hand. Even my 'bird finger' is beginning to work - an old geezer like me needs to know that I can still use it if need be, huh? I actually can (and did) demonstrate my increased grip strength to both of my daughters and made them yelp and beg from them to release my grip, 4- the Bioness device which has allowed me to walk unaided ('cept for the device itself). I figured I have been shocked by the Bioness enough times over the past 15 months to light up a small town, but hey, who's complaining. I am still completely amazed by the device with every step I take, and 5-a neurologist (Dr. David Blake) who told me during one of my early sessions with him that his goal was to stop the progress of the disease while maintaining motor skills that I still had. I remember thinking 'Yeah, right', to which I have since laughed with him about this first reaction.

As anyone with MS knows, the disease is very 'individualistic' in that no two persons symptoms are alike. In addition, one thing which works for one person, might not have any effect whatsoever on another. I do not want to even slightly imply that something that has been making my journey easier will work just as effectively for others.

A friend politely asked me at church Sunday how I was doing, to which I replied 'I just keep trying to put one foot in front of the other'. And so far, I've been able to do just that. And that makes my very happy.