Sunday, November 23, 2014

Ampyra - Bring It on!

Ampyra is a medication given to persons with MS in order to help them walk better. Due to other factors, like my Balance Vest, my walking ability is like the weather, constantly changing. I have started going to a new neurologist, seeking a fresh outlook of my condition. Anpyra was the latest in a growing number of treatment options available to those of us with MS. Since one of the several side effects of Ampyra is seizures, it was strongly recommended for anyone with a history of seizures to avoid it. I had a strong history of seizures when I was diagnosed with encephalitis when I was 14 years old, sometimes having from 3-5 + daily. My previous neurologist did not prescribe this medication for this reason. Discussing this with my new Dr., and since it had been 50+ years since I last had a seizure we decided to give it a try. I began the twice a day oral pill 6 days ago. Many reviewers stated that it had done wonders for their condition, while others didn't notice any difference.

After just 2 days on the drug, I was noticing that my walking (still with a cane) was improving in that my stride, particularly on my right side had significantly increased along with my walking speed. So now, I too, am a believer. I hesitated to mention my perceived improvement to anyone lest it be associated with a placebo effect, but I am beginning to believe that what I'm experiencing might be here to stay for a while. My wife reminds me each day to take the pill, which I usually have already done so.

There is another newer medication, Lemtrada, which was just approved by the FDA last week after being rejected this past summer. It too offers a new level of hope which I had been told by my previous neurologist that 'there's nothing else out the for you and it doesn't appear that this will change in the near future'. Although we had a great deal of respect and admiration for him, we left under good terms and am grateful that he was there when we needed him.

Thanks, but new hope is back in my corner and that gives me something to be thankful for this Thanksgiving.