Tuesday, November 04, 2014

Update 1

I am going to attempt to cover some of the major happenings during my journey with MS since my last posts. After I finished my Tysabri treatments, I began taking the new oral drug Gilenya, which I am still using. I really don't know if, nor how effective it really is. The problem being that I have no way of knowing if I would be better off now if I wasn't taking the drug. There's just no way to know. It does, however, most definitely appear that I'm still slipping somewhat downward. My balance, as well as fatigue remain a problem. Mobility-wise, I'm not as well off as I was this time two years ago and am still using a cane as well as my Segway, although not depending on the Segway near as much as I used to. Just a few weeks ago, I started going to physical therapy once a week. There we are working on my leg strength and my balance, along with a few other problems. The balance problem is what motivated me to begin the therapy sessions, which I plan on covering in a later post. In addition, acupuncture proved to be very effective way for me to handle some of my MS symptoms. Again, I plan on detailing those experiences in later posts. Due to the medication regimen I have been on, I have, for now at least, reached the top rung on the ladder. In the words of my recently past neurologist 'right now there is nothing else out there for you'. When I heard that, I felt as if any hope whatsoever that I had of being able to handle my MS symptoms had been dealt a severe blow. But right now more recent developments and information has helped to shed new light on the situation. Hope has returned once more and there seems to be some 'bounce' in my step again. Once again, more about that soon. For now however, I'll leave with this thought - For me at least, without hope, there is nothing.