Wednesday, May 23, 2012

'Minding My Mitochondria'

This post title is in quotes because it happens to be a book that has thus far had a huge impact on my travel down my life path with MS. The book was referred through Email interactions with another fellow MSer who contacted me through this blog. Dragana (her name) mentioned the book authored by a doctor with MS who is on the staff at Iowa State University. Basically, Dr. Terry Wahls espouses a natural approach to handling her MS through changing her eating habits. After reading her book (post title), I researched the idea further and found several other writings recommending a similar approach. Each book was written by a person with MS and as with the disease itself, each showing differing results, but showing outcomes ranging from much improved to astounding. I adopted a gluten free, sugar free, dairy free, preservative free, processed foods and added hormones free way of eating in early January of this year. Reading the previous statement might make one wonder, 'What's left?' Talk about a major change for me! For years my food intake consisted of a diet rich with milk, ice cream, chocolate bars, as well as other junk foods. After acquiring and reading the book 'Minding My Mitochondria' by Dr. Wahls, I thought the idea of me attempting to deal with my MS through new eating habits (I hate the word 'diet'), was depressing and near impossible. But what the heck, what did I have to lose? I spent several days moping around the house dreading what I was about to do to myself. I can't say it has been easy, especially when eating out at a restaurant or pot-luck type dinners, but after being free of most of my previous eating habits, I can honestly say that it has been easier that I thought. At first, the change was difficult, but after five months it has become a habit and now the idea of a Big Mac, Whopper, Pizza Hut pizza or any other fast food (except Chipolte's) has actually become distasteful. Bottom line question, 'Have I seen any improvements thus far?' There have been some noted improvements. Overall there is a sense of felling much better. Measurably, my cholesterol dropped dramatically (almost in half) to a very low (for me) 114. In addition my high blood pressure has followed suit and will sometimes bottom out at numbers ranging from 175/75 to 125/85. Not bad for an old bugger like me. One symptom which is worsening is a weakening of my right leg. I am currently in the process of having the latest Bioness device set up. The purpose of the unit, which is coordinated with my current unit, is to send an electronic shock to the upper hamstring muscle resulting in better leg lift. Will post update soon.