Wednesday, April 15, 2009

A Walk on the Beach

EGAD!!! I'm actually walking on the beach at Hilton Head without either a cane or any other mobility aid except for the Bioness L-300. Whenever I lift my right heel an electrical impulse is sent to my right leg muscles causing them to contract, thereby both raising my foot and correcting the inversion (pigeon-toed) and assisting me to walk. It's just like a CHRISTMAS MIRACLE. After following the rigid exercise program aimed at getting me acclimated to wear the device, my muscles are supposed to get stronger. I BELIEVE!!!

One downside (sorta) is that whenever I walk a short distance and go in a store or restaurant without either my cane or the Segway, I feel totally naked. I'm sure I'll get used to it, but it might take a while. I'm up to wearing it 4 hours a day now, with 2-20 minute exercise periods daily. The program calls for me to add 30 minutes a day to the wearing time until I reach the goal of wearing it for 9+ hours a day.

Believe me, I will still be using the Segway for longer jaunts and inside larger stores such as Wal-Mart, grocery stores or the mall.