Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Segwayman Update

Well, even though the weather here in Central Kentucky is fall beautiful, we did not venture too far from home this weekend. The good ole MS has been acting up a bit, causing us to curtail some of our activities. We did, however, go to a couple of larger stores, Sam's Club, Wal-Mart and Lowe's. Great trips. No, seriously, I am very grateful that I am still able to do those things. Even though I do have my darker moments, I'm not into extended 'pity parties'. Definitely not fun.

The Segway is (as usual) such an unbelievable help to me in these mega-stores. I began using it after I visited Wal-Mart a few months ago, and was stumbling around (even with the cane). I gave in and used one of their motorized wheelchairs. Never again! At least not for me. I felt like I was getting in people's way, had a hard time reaching items and felt like people were looking down at me. I realize that some people need to use them and I applaud them for using the motorized chairs to get around. But while I can still stand, give me my Segway. I figuratively ran into a couple of my former aids at my school and I told them 'This is the last time you'll see me in one of these things if I can help it". The Segway goes with me now - easier for me to use and a heck of a lot more fun. I can get all around the stores with ease. Now my wife has to hunt me down now when she's ready to go. I have begun to carry my own cell phone, which she makes liberal use of in order to keep tabs on my whereabouts. I attach a wire bicycle type basket on the handlebars and then shop 'till I drop. Fun.